Thursday, July 24, 2008

Have a seat Martha


Have you welcomed Jesus into your house (heart) but have forgotten to set at His feet and learn of Him? Have you found yourself busy about the details of life and all it's worries and forgotten your First Love? Have you placed works and obligations as top priority when it comes to your Christian walk?

I will be honest with you, giving place to the Martha mode is not out of reach in my own life. I can fall into Martha mode very easily if I am not careful. Worries, distractions, busyness, being very disturbed about things, turmoil, they all can come crashing in on me if my priorities get all messed up. During those times I can just hear the Lord saying to me, why are you exerting so much time and energies into things that are only temporal? Why do you trouble yourself the way you do? Come, take a seat and set with me and learn of me. Be still and rest in me for this is what is beneficial and for your advantage. This is what is necessary for the well being of your life (now and for all eternity).
Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.

And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus feet, and heard his word.

But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.

And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:

But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her. (Luke 10: 38-42)

I believe the lesson to be learned here is more than just servants-v-worshippers. Jesus is not saying that Mary's are greater than Martha's because one worships and the other serves. Those who truly love Jesus will delight in worshipping as well as serving. I believe that this is a lesson of the heart. We have to ask ourselves, what is the condition of my heart? Am I distracted and worrying about things or am I at peace and resting in Jesus?
I also believe that this is a lesson that when we find ourselves in the Martha mode to not become bitter toward the Marys but to learn of them and remember that what she is doing is the good part and what is necessary. It is for her good and not her hurt. And we (Martha's) need to do likewise and have a seat and learn of Jesus.
May we not forget about the more important things like sitting at the feet of Jesus and making Him our First Love. (Rev. 2:4)

9 comments:

IJ Hanna Lucky said...

May we not forget about the more important things like sitting at the feet of Jesus and making Him our First Love...

like the Church at Ephesus did. but may we always crave His Holy presence and be in His perfect will for our lives.

Godbless

Anonymous said...

Nice post, Tamela, really enjoyed reading your blog...keep on shining my friend !
God bless you ^_^
Kaye

jeleasure said...

Hi Tamela,
I appreciate your willingness to be an encourager.
In reading the first part of your blog item (I read the entire post btw) I first thought of a poem I had read for discussion years ago in a singles ministry. The poem is called, "My Heart, Christ home". Have you read it?
Second thoughts were of how many people there are that worship God differently. Today, I was reading an article about Deism and Theism. Deism attempts to refute the theistic view that God is involved in the affairs of man. If they had their way, there would not be a New Testament or a Biblical history that is accounted and testified by the Jewish people.
And, then just a few days ago, I replied to someone who wrote a comment in someone else's box. His statement was that it is perfectly acceptable to worship the Holy Spirit or God alone, aside from Jesus Christ. Well, not really, because Jesus came to be the bridge to a relationship that was not available without atonement.
I think what you have written is excellent. Both, the Mary's and the Martha's have a Christ centered relationship to God. And however they execute it, If it is done in Love for one another and in faith then as Paul said in Galations 5:6.
If you mean that you would like to exchange links to one another's page. Yes, I have read enough of your blog to understand that you want to accomplish the concerns of Christ. I will also post a link on my three pages to yours. Are there any other pages you have that I should link to?
Also, when you link to my page, I know of at least three other bloggers who will want to exchange links. One of them is a man who has spent the last seventeen years of his adult life in Biblical studies. He now has a Master in Theology and Philosophy. He is under review for his Phd. Russ is very impressive in his knowledge and very gracious to not over critique. Expect a visit from him as well.
Jim

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Jim from Journaling For Growth let me know about your blog.

I like your blog imagery and my brother and family live in Peoria, AZ. The Phoenix area is impressive. I am always looking for new reciprocal links and readers.

Russ:)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post. I was starting to feel worn down by all my worries, anxieties, and plans. It is a relief to remember that I don't have to worry. I can just rest with God like Mary.

Thank you also for your comment on my site, http://capturedbyGod.wordpress.com. God bless you!

Jeff said...

Hi Tamela.

Jim (jeleasure), in his networking endeavors, asked me to stop by and say 'hi.'

Very appealing site.

nitewrit said...

Tamela, Thank you again for your kind words.

Isn't it so easy to become a Martha and difficult to be a Mary? I battle this all the time. I can get distracted with all the tasks, engrossed in preparing the table so to speak, that I forget to eat.

Certainly Jesus set the example of being a servant, but He always focused on the person first. We must be willing to do the tasks, but must always keep it in balance and know when the tasks have overwhelmed the mission.

Jeff said...

Tamela,

Thank you for posting a comment on my site, and especially for listing a link to my site in your blog roll. I very much appreciate that. I have added your site to my list of Favorite Links on my blog site.

Your 'Martha' article very much applies to me in that, when I have a list of things to do, I very often put my devotional time at the bottom of that list. It's so easy to think that chores, paying bills, errands, and so many other things are the priority (we tend to think, "I HAVE to get this done!"), when, in fact, in 100 years from now, we will not care about bills or chores or errands. However, our time spent with the Lord will affect us for eternity, I believe, because I tend to think that the closer we grow to the Lord here on Earth, the more we will enjoy Him in Heaven. Plus, when we spend more time with the Lord, that affects our thoughts and actions. It empowers us better to overcome sin. It gives us a better attitude towards others. It can also fill us with joy.

I Timothy 4:8 says "For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come." (KJV) It is similar with chores, errands, and other things. They do indeed profit us, but only for a short while. We should, of course, be responsible and make sure we pay our bills on time, keep our house clean, and be good stewards. But at the same time, we cannot neglect time with the Lord, for the more we do so, the more our relationship with the Lord suffers. Focusing on Christ, and spending intimate time with Him, profits us for all of eternity. This is something I need to remember. Thank you again for a very appropriate and practical article.

jeleasure said...

Hey Tamela,
I finished a study on the Jewish Wedding Ceremony. I also wrote my interpretation of it and provided a link to your site within the text. Take a look-> Jewish Wedding Ceremony
Jim
P.s. I remember having given a copy of Michael W. Smith's Worship to an inmate. He said the part of the song, "Let it Rain" where the Austrailian read scripture made him weep.

Light breaking forth!

Have you ever been studying God's Word and suddenly there is a quickening in your spirit and you have understanding that gives you deepe...