Thursday, August 14, 2008

Water off a duck's back


We had a Pastor who use to say that he had a back like a duck because he had learned not to carry or allow offenses to soak into him, they would just roll right off of his back.

Jesus said in Lk. 4:18-19 That the Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, to preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

The word brokenhearted in the Greek means to have crushed/shattered feelings. I think most of us have experienced this kind of pain. Having your heart crushed is a horrible pain. It's like a heaviness that lingers in the pit of your stomach. You have been pierced through and feel utterly devastated. The worst pain I think I have ever felt is the pain of betrayal. My heart has literally felt crushed by this heartache. But praise be to God that He didn't leave me with holes of betrayal in my heart. And He doesn't want to leave you with a shattered heart either. Jesus has said that He has come to heal the brokenhearted. Jesus came to mend our hearts and bring healing into our lives. He desires to make us brand new. The first step in becoming brand new is to first give our forgiveness to those who have caused us pain. We must forgive others of their offenses before the holes in our heart can be filled with Jesus' healing balm.

God has allowed me to experience some tough emotional pain in the last few years and I believe this is because He has been teaching me the lessons of giving forgiveness and Grace to others so as I can have His forgiveness and experience His healing in my life and be set free. He is teaching me to keep my eyes upon Him. These experiences have been some hard ones for me but I will have to admit that it is getting easier for me to let things just roll off of my back and not allow offenses and unforgiveness soak into me. I have been taught some valuable lessons by the Holy Spirit to not only be forgiving and gracious toward others but also to use Godly wisdom and discernment.

I truly believe that the only holes that will forever be permanent are the ones that Jesus (our Lord and Savior) took so that we wouldn't have to. Jesus came to heal the brokenhearted. May we allow His healing to take place in our heart by first offering our forgiveness to others
so that we can say,
"It's just water off a duck's back!"




12 comments:

jeleasure said...

O.K.,
I needed that. The other day, I was very offended by someone of a different denomination blogging a comment back to me on his blog, calling me a heretic.
I don't have a hard time forgiving. Though, I will be careful to not entertain his thoughts on herecy again. Not that I am confessing that I was wrong. However, it would be wrong to go back to him and entice him to making accusations.
I just write on unusual topics and I obviously choose topics that are controversial.
So, I have to work on not allowing the water to soak me.

Anonymous said...

Good post. Thank you for your comment on Growing In God's Word. You have a very good blog. Very solid. I believe what is needed the most within the Body of Christ is encouragement. This is the spiritual gift that allows the Body of Christ to be self-healing...

jeleasure said...

Hey Tamela,

I messed up big time.
In my latest post about scripture being difficult to understand, at times, I left somethig out.
From my draft, I deleted an entirly, pivotal paragraph that was intended to you, the reader where I am going with the post.

Anyway, for fun, see if you can find what it was I left out and tell me if that makes reading my post easier. Thanks. Follow the link back

Isaiah 35 example.

Jim

Anonymous said...

I am easily offended, something I have to learn! I love your ending though about how nothing can truly harm us in Christ.

I love your pictures too. Thank you adding me to your blogroll! May God bless you.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

God has allowed me to experience some pretty tough emotional pain in the last few years and I believe this is because He has been teaching me the lessons of giving forgiveness and Grace to others so as I can have His forgiveness and experience His healing in my life and be set free.

I have had a difficult, but still decent life. I reason God has used discipline on me often. Sadly, with the sinful nature as it is, I would not likely be as committed to the Biblical God as I am if humanly speaking, I had more things go my way.

I do pray that God will be merciful, however.

Thanks, Tammy.

Russ:)

Anonymous said...

Amen! I took have suffered great pains in just the last year and a half. I am so grateful that my mother instilled in me how God can see you through even the worst pains as long as you cling to Him. He is able to do all things in which we can't. He is our strength when we are weak. He is our light in our darkest hour. God is everything to me and without Him I can do nothing. Blessings my friend and fellow Hoosier! Love you!

jeleasure said...

Hey T,
The game is on. Click here and see if you can find the previously missing text.

Anonymous said...

Hello my friend! Stop by my site and pick up yet another blessing! I love you and have a blessed day in the Lord.

jeleasure said...

Tamela,
You were correct. Did you buy the Cliff notes?

"In Isaia 35:1, we see that the people live in fear from day - to - day, hoping on the promise of "something" that will give reason for happiness, and fear of dying eternally in the grave
having passed".

Gigi said...

I had to laugh at your post...our Pastor says "FIDO" ~ Forget It, Drive On! Good advice when we, as humans, want to get stuck on and in the minutiae!!

Love your blog!

Tara Sloan said...

Fantastic! Living that is such a journey at times... this was a great word!

IJ Hanna Lucky said...

Godbless you Tamela for I have been blessed by this post even today. . . the power of forgiveness is purely divine.

Godbless your beautiful family.

Light breaking forth!

Have you ever been studying God's Word and suddenly there is a quickening in your spirit and you have understanding that gives you deepe...