Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Lessons in worship from a dog

(Jn. 4: 23-24) But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

The word Worship in these verses is Proskuneo which in the Greek means to kiss, like a dog licking his Master's hand. To fawn or crouch, prostrate oneself in homage (do reverence to, adore).

My dogs have taught me so much when it comes to worship and my relationship with God (my Master).

Our dog Frissee is a true companion to me. Whatever room I am she has to be in there with me. Everyone else can be in other rooms in the house but if I choose to go to the bedroom and lie down Frissee will come in there with me. If I choose to go outside in the blistering heat of Arizona she is right there, In the shade of course, but I am always kept in her sight.

I was thinking about this today and I realized that this is how we should be with our Heavenly Father. We should desire to always stay near to Him, and always keep God in our spiritual sight. We can do this by communing with Him in prayer or even studying and or reading His Word. Sometimes I will turn on some music and just praise and worship the Lord in song. The Word of God says that He will inhabit the praises of His people and knowing that His presence is near to me brings me great comfort. This is how my dog Frissee is, knowing that I am near is comforting to her.

Frissee will walk over to me sometimes for no apparent reason and lay her big ol' snout on my leg and give me a wet kiss on my hand or knee. When I reach out to pet her as to return her affection she will look up at me with those big precious brown eyes of hers as if she just can't contain herself. She will stand there forever if I let her just adoring me as I caress her, and she soaks it all in. Sometimes she will get so filled with excitement as if she is going to burst and will begin spinning in circles and chasing her tail, at this point she is literally rejoicing, which in Biblical terms the word rejoice can mean to spin in circles.

This is what the scriptures is speaking of when it comes to worshiping our Heavenly Father. When I think of praising and worshiping God I am reminded of a puppy that rolls over on its back and makes himself vulnerable to the hand of his master, trusting and knowing that when he does he is going to get a good tummy rubbing and maybe even a little tickle from his master. Aw! to feel the touch of his master's hand, life just doesn't get any better than that. As far as that little puppy is concerned this is life in its fullness. This is an example of what the Bible says: "that God will inhabit the praise of His people." The Lord desires to commune with us. He desires to spend time with you. When we praise and worship God it is our invitation for Him to come and meet with us. Draw nigh to God, and He will draw night to you (Jas. 4:8).

Our praise and worship is like the puppy when he approaches his master and desires the comforting and playful touch of his master's hand. Just as the puppy trusts and adores his master so we trust and adore our God (Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour) and then begins an exchange of love between us and our Lord. Jesus desire is for us to be intimate with Him and His Father just as they are with one another, and to be ONE with them.

May we open ourselves up to praise and worship our Master and kiss Him with the praise of our lips and let His cleansing touch wash over us. Feel the touch of your Master's hand and be a witness of praise and joy for His Son Christ Jesus!

7 comments:

jeleasure said...

Tamela,
This is interesting to me, because, I have written to three other people who use their relationships with their dogs as an object lesson on our relationship with God.
I myself have used it in chapter one of Love One Another

Gigi said...

And isn't it true that the more we praise, worship and adore Him, the closer we feel to Him? It is up to us to maintain the relationship because God changes not!

Tamela - I'd like to add your site to my blogroll if that's alright with you...

Unknown said...

What an absolutely wonderful post!!! (All of our puppies also loved it!)

nitewrit said...

Tamela,

You described it so well it really made me see worship clearly. And like jeleasure, I had just used my dog as an example in my post last week about cats and dogs, the Calls All That Seek post.

You recent post about To-Do lists some wave about instead of grasping Grace has had me thinking a lot as well. My next post has kind of come to me from that post you wrote. I hope to put it up today after I get home from work.

Larry

Anonymous said...

Once again my friend I am truly uplifted and inspired by your writings! You have such a beautiful gift and I love the way you use it to glorify out Lord and Savior. Reading your blog is such a blessing to me. Praise God for dogs and what lessons we can learn from them. God is simply wonderful!
Blessings!

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

adorer

John 4: 23

an adorer

fawn

John 4: 24

to fawn or crouch to, i.e. (literally or figuratively) prostrate oneself in homage (do reverence to, adore)

Interesting work, Tammy.

We followers are children to God, and no matter how much we progress we shall be children.

We are to have a love and loyalty to God, as a child would to a parent, and a dog to its owner.

I answered you comment below, and Jeff had some interesting thoughts on his trip to a LDS church.

Russ:)

Jeff and comments

IJ Hanna Lucky said...

Praise the Lord Oh my Soul. I love this post!
whenever we worship the Lord in Spirit and truth there is usually peace within that makes us know that we are safe in Him because our God is a Great God

lovely post I love the way you write

you are blessed

Light breaking forth!

Have you ever been studying God's Word and suddenly there is a quickening in your spirit and you have understanding that gives you deepe...