Saturday, January 10, 2009

Doubt-vs-Faith

I received a devotional written by James McDonald via e-mail and thought it worthy to share.

Doubt vs. Faith
James McDonald
Hebrews 11:6 Without faith it is impossible to please [God]. Christians don't generally set out to doubt God. They don't bring their faith into question without reason. For most of us, life's pain simply catches us off guard. The reality of hardship trips us up. We spiral fast when we're left on our own to entertain doubting questions and stir our circular reasoning--or even worse, when we're left alone in the company of other doubters or bitter people.
Someone has said that doubt is cancer of the soul. Like a machete to your garden, and like a match to your house, doubt is the toxin that eats away at the fabric of the most important thing about you--what you believe about God.
However, if in times of doubt we take our questions directly to the Lord, our faith increases. God's Word and God's character can stand under the most microscopic scrutiny. When you say, I don't know exactly what God is doing, but I know He's doing something for my good -- that's the unseen evidence of trusting Him. Don't feel foolish waiting upon God to meet your needs. I certainly don't. God has proven Himself faithful to keep His promises.
Doubt is a lack of confidence or assurance that God will keep His promises. Faith is an active confidence in God. Faith is substance. Faith is evidence. Faith is the power of a vibrant spiritual life. In fact, "without faith it is impossible to please him" (Hebrews 11:6).So is "having faith" the important thing in life? Contrary to the opinion of a lot of sincere people--no. Faith for faith's sake doesn't go anywhere. Faith doesn't have any magic. Faith in itself doesn't save you; it can't help you; it doesn't give you anything you need to overcome trials. But faith is the thing that gets you to God -- and not faith in His promises, but faith in Him.I love the song we sing as a church called, "All Things Are Possible." A while back, a man came to me and said, "You know that 'all things are possible' song? People just get too rowdy when they sing that song. If you don't stop singing that song, I'm going to have to leave the church." And I was sorry to see him go. I don't think any of our problems are that we're too fired up about the promises of God as it relates to our faith. I don't think God looks down on us and says, "Tsk, tsk, tsk, you guys are just a little too excited about Me."
Put your doubts aside. All things are possible in Christ. Oh loved ones, if we would lay hold, even for a moment, of all that He would like to do for us if we would just believe Him.

22 comments:

nutuba said...

I like this! Faith is knowing that God will do the right thing because He is God. Faith is knowing that God is in charge, and no matter how bleak the circumstances, He's still there. Faith doesn't mean we'll be lifted out of our difficulties; faith means that God's with us through our difficulties.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I think that so many times people try to "help" people by saying, "Just have faith." I'm not even sure what that is supposed to mean. thank you for reminding us that what is ultimately important is the object of the faith, namely, Jesus that matters, not faith for the sake of faith itself.

Scott

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Joel,

You have stated it very well. Even in difficulties knowing that God is with us and His plans are always for our good speaks of our faith..

God bless you :)

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your comment. I have heard that said many times myself and i would often ask them what that means. Having Faith in Faith is usually their reply. it makes for an interesting conversation which can sometimes lead to an open door to witness to them the Love of Christ Jesus.


God bless you Scott :)

Jody said...

Faith for me is believing God is good all the time, in the light and the darkness.

jeleasure said...

Hi Tamela,
Faith should be the easy part for anyone calling himself a Christian. I don't mean this to be a snotty comment. What I do intend to point out is, what I wrote in my most recent post. I wrote concerning the percentage of people who call themselves "born again" or call themselves Christian and having a Biblical world view or understanding the core message of the Bible.
The post is On Works and Salvation. Currently, it is raising some controversy.
Scott Welch's comment reflects 90% of all believers. He also put faith into perspective by stating,

"...what is ultimately important is the object of the faith, namely, Jesus that matters, not faith for the sake of faith itself".


Joel, from nutuba visited my blog earlier. To him and all who read this post, I say: Listen to Jesus' words. What has He said in scripture? What has He said to you, personally?

Scott said that what is important is that we observe, listen and follow Jesus. This is what we must remember in every deed or question. If we are doubting, seek Jesus' words. What has He said? What He has said, is where the answer lies. If He says, "Love One Another", it is for a purpose. It is not a suggestion. If he says "follow me", then follow. Follow by listening to His words and doing what he commands.
Good work T. Where have you been?

Gi said...

Great post, thanks for sharing it Tamela.

Please stop by my blog I have some Blog Love for you in the side bar.

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Jody,

Amen jody, if we could just get a glimpse through the eyes of the Lord, we would truly know and understand His love and goodness in all of life's situations. He sees the whole picture we only see in part. But Faith in God's goodness and love for us can bring some light to our own vision so we can begin to see!


Blessings to you Jody :)

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Jim,

I am going to try and get around to some blogs today and read and leave comments. I am heading over to yours right now!

Your right Jim, faith is putting one foot in front of the other and heeding and believing His Word no matter if we don't understand everything clearly!

God bless you :)

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Gi,

Thank you again for the award..

God bless you :)

Gigi said...

To know that my Savior loves me and yearns to have me seek Him in all things...is there any greater comfort? And because I am assured of His love, I can trust (in faith) that His plan for me - while not always easy to understand - is, indeed, good.

Blessings Tamela...wonderful post!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you and have been struggling lately. Thank you for your confidence and faith in God. It gives me courage and strength. I hope you have a blessed day! Jenny

Tamela's Place said...

Hello gigi,

Knowing that God does indeed love us brings great comfort to our souls. You have a beautiful spirit gigi, I thank you and at the same time glorify the Father for your words/ His Word in you. :)

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Jenny,

May God bless your week and continue to give you His Peace daily. Blessings to you :)

Lori Laws said...

Hi Tamela,
There is an award waiting for you to pick up at my blog!

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Lori,

Thank you for the award for Tamelas place. And congrats to you as well... :)

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Hanna,

Thankyou for the New year blessings I recieve it :)

Vicki said...

I think about Jacob wrestling with the angel the night before meeting up with his estranged brother, Esau. He came away limping, but victorious because he received the blessing.
I have often wrestled with God to give me the blessing of faith, the ability to wait upon the Lord, longsuffering. Sometimes I have to come back and wrestle through my doubts 2 or 3 or more times. But the Lord is indeed gracious beyond measure. He daily guides me to trust him.
Blessings Tamela. You are a delight.
Vicki

Anonymous said...

i stumbled across this page by accident and i just want to say i am soo glad i did! its so refreshing to find someone who truley has faith and beleives! rather than "believeing but complaining". i love all the piktures and everything on here! you seem to have such a great family! God Bless you all!
ohh, and if you havent heard of it...look up laminin. you'll be AMAZED! its a protein that literally holds our bodies together. :)

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Frankie,

Thank you for your comment. My husband and i went to a Chris Tomlin concert about a year ago and louie giglio was the speaker and he talked about laminin and other scientific evidence that points to a Creator. My husband and I came home and researched it some more and it was very interesting and seeing that the laminin in our body is in the shape of a cross was truly amazing!

Blessings to you :)

Tamela's Place said...

Hello vicki,

I know what you mean! I also have been there, but God is indeed very merciful and gracious non-the-less.

God bless you :)

Anonymous said...

praise God, this photo just reminds me of his glory about us every day, 24/7.

When we weak thy is strong.

Light breaking forth!

Have you ever been studying God's Word and suddenly there is a quickening in your spirit and you have understanding that gives you deepe...