Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Chasing Rabbits

In Arizona are some of the biggest Jack rabbits that I have ever seen. For the life of me I cannot figure out what they eat around here that makes them grow so big. You will see them running around in the open fields where only scrub grows. I am assuming that must be what they eat, and we have plenty of that so maybe this is why they are so big!

We have one of those fields right across the street from our house and everyday we take our dog Frissee over there for her daily run. When we ask her if she's ready to go chase a rabbit, she knows exactly what we are talking about and she gets all excited with anticipation in hopes of seeing the rabbit. Of course she could never catch one, they are super fast and would leave her in the dust every time. That doesn't matter to Frissee though she just enjoys seeing the rabbit and getting the opportunity to chase it a little while. The rabbit is a master escape artist, it will zigzag while it is running and then before you can blink an eye it has made a hard turn and off it goes disappearing into the brush. It is so funny watching Frissee, just as she is going full throttle seeming to be on the rabbits heals, bam it turns hard and Frissee will begin to slow down and then stand there puzzled wondering where in the world did that rabbit go? LOL!

My animals have taught me so many life lessons, especially my dogs, it is amazing how they excitingly anticipate each new day. Even though Frissee has never caught the rabbit that doesn't matter to her, after all it was a great chase and she will sport herself as if she has accomplished the greatest joy of the day. What makes her excitement for the chase even more amazing to me is that most of the time when we take her to the field we never even get to see the rabbit. Weeks even months can go by before she gets to see the rabbit again. But that doesn't matter to Frissee because she anticipates each day as if she will get to chase the rabbit, and sometimes her anticipation pays off. Each day Frissee will enter that field with expectations that today will be the day of the "CHASE"

Watching Frissee made me do some self-examination. Do I look forward to each new day with excitement and anticipation of what the day has in store? What if that prayer still isn't answered? What if today isn't the day of that financial blessing? What if I don't get to chase the rabbit today? Do I still make the best of the day as my dog Frissee does? Did I still rejoice in the day? Did I decide to just give up hope today and never hope again? Afterall it has been weeks, months, maybe even years and there has been no rabbits to chase. No adventure, nothing has changed. It is still the status quo or even worse!

Do you find yourself growing weary and losing heart? I have at times. But I am reminded of scriptures to Hope thou in God, to not grow weary in well doing for you will reap if you faint not, and that His plans for me are good.

Do you know that our hope should go beyond this world? Really now, just think about that for a moment. Our Hope should go beyond this world but a lot of times we can't seem to see past what is in front of us. We limit our hope by keeping it held close to our hearts to only be used for here and now. When we can look beyond this world and hold hope in our heart for the eternal things a supernatural peace and rest will invade our souls, because at this point we will begin to see that the suffering that we go through here is nothing to be compared to the glorious day that awaits us. Understanding that will lift the heavy burden of this world off your shoulders! (Come unto me all ye that are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest)

When we can get a glimpse of the finish line and the reward that awaits us it makes the chase an enjoyable one. And unlike chasing rabbits this chase will end with apprehending the goal! So in the meantime may we anticipate each new day with great expectations!

1 Cor. 15:19 If we who are [abiding] in Christ have hope only in this life and that is all, then we are of all people most miserable and to be pitied.

26 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Frissee=Elmer Fudd?;)

'Do you find yourself growing weary and losing heart? I have at times. But I am reminded of scriptures to Hope thou in God, to not grow weary in well doing for you will reap it you faint not, that His plans for me are good.'

Yes for sure, with revisions, sleep apnea and such, but I reason the Lord will keep me going until death and then we have phase II.

Thanks, Tamela.

Russ:)

Jody said...

Being in ministry, my husband is a pastor and I'm involved in women's ministries, teaching, counseling,etc. We've seen so much that would cause us to give up chasing the rabbits, but God is always good and makes us focus all the more on Jesus our Savior who we will see at the end of the race. Blessings to you.

nitewrit said...

Tamela,

Your place is well named, each time I read a post it gives me all the things you promise and always the subject seems timely to my moment.

Thank you again.

Larry E.

Lori said...

The hope of my heart is in Jesus and His unfailing love, Tamela, and your post was a charming way of illustrating how that hope gives us joy in the pursuit of a life in Christ. I loved picturing Frissee and that rabbit!

Tracy said...

Great post! I'm so thankful that we do have hope that is beyond this world, and that we will one day receive the prize. Thanks for sharing! Blessings!

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Russ,

lol! You of all people, would of thought of that one!

In Christ Jesus
Tamela :)

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Jody,

Embracing our Jesus at the end of this race is going to be one awesome reward!

Thanks Jody and God bless you
Tamela:)

Tamela's Place said...

Thank you Larry for your encouraging words that means a lot to me to know that you are being encouraged.
I am heading over to read your post, i know that it will be another dose of God's wisdom that you will be sharing, and i will leave thinking upon the deeper things of the Lord, which always does my soul good!

God bless you Larry
Tamela:)

Tamela's Place said...

hello Lori,

I am so thankful that you found me. Anytime I get new commentors i will always visit with them as well. And i am so glad that i did because your writing on the fruit trees were such a blessing! I am going to put you on my blogroll so that i can be blessed some more by your writings!

God bless you
Tamela:)

Tamela's Place said...

hello Tracy,

Thank you for your comment. How miserable would we be if we couldn't hope beyond this world? I am sooo thankful as well that we can indeed hope beyond what is in front of us!


God bless you
Tamela:)

Gigi said...

Tamela, I must be honest and say that I don't look forward to each day with excitement and anticipation...not now. BUT - I do pray upon waking that I will live my life to His glory. And I know that one day, by His grace, I will awaken with excitement and anticipation once again.

Tamela's Place said...

I am so sorry gigi i can't even begin to imagine the heartache that you must go through each waking day but what i was referring to is the excitement and anticipation of each new day as we draw closer to the finish line/when we finally get to be with Jesus!
This is why i quoted 1 Cor. 15:19 at the end of my post!

If our hope only lies in the temporal/day to day existence then we are most miserable indeed and to be pitied.

God bless you gigi
Tamela:)

Gigi said...

Sorry Tamela...these days I've very fuzzy headed, easily confused and distracted! I'm told it's part of the grieving process and that it will pass. It's extremely frustrating for someone who's always been pretty "with it!"

I will amend my comment to say that if there is ANY sense of hope and excitement for me, right now, it's the knowledge that I DO know where I'm going. See my post for today! I eagerly await my final destination!

But I also know that the Lord wants us to be happy while we "wait in eager anticipation!" I am not "there" yet. But one day...

Tamela's Place said...

Hello gigi,

Isn't it wonderful to have the peace of mind to know where your eternity lies? There is so many people out there that do not have this peace in thier hearts, thus they fear death. So sad so very sad! But to live is Christ, so as long as we are living we will pray and be HIS witness of Peace and hope to others and to let them know that they can have this peace and hope in their lives as well!

In Christ Jesus
Tamela:)

Lori Laws said...

What an encouraging post Tamela! Yeah, if we are looking, God communicates to us in His creation.

Tamela's Place said...

Hi Lori,

Yeah, i thought i would get back to some more encouraging stuff again :).

I have learned that if i just take the time to observe creation more there are a lot of lessons that can be learned. I am thankful that God uses His creation to teach us some good things!

God bless you
Tamela:)

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'Hello Russ,

lol! You of all people, would of thought of that one!

In Christ Jesus
Tamela :)'

I know 'ain't I a stinka'. (Bugs)

jeleasure said...

Tamela,
I did get a chuckle with the imagery of a bewildered canine on the realization of chasing nothing.

And, then you offer that encouragement that says, make the most of each opportunity and be proud to have take part in it.

Anonymous said...

Am glad I visit Tamela's place it is surely a place to find encouragement
great post I loved here " We limit our hope by keeping it held close to our hearts to only be used for here and now. When we can look beyond this world and hold hope in our heart for the eternal things a supernatural peace and rest will invade our souls",

Godbless

Anonymous said...

Greetings Tamela,

What a great illustration on how to live one's life with expectation.

Thanks for sharing this simple truth in such a vibrant manor.

Joyfully Serving,

Kermit

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Jim,

Yeah, she's pretty funny to watch when chasing the rabbit! She a little blessing from the Lord!

Tamela :)

Tamela's Place said...

Hello IJ,

I think i will take your advice and refer to you as IJ, cant't mess up spelling that :)

Thank for commenting and God bless you IJ :)

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Kermit,

It is good to hear from you, i will be heading over to your blog in hopes of reading another great Post for the glory of God!


God bless you
Tamela:)

jeleasure said...

Hey T.
Thanks for the well wishes. And, happy anniversary to you and your husband. Conratulations, as well. Twenty-five years is amazing.

Jim

Anonymous said...

I love your story about your dog! I also learn a lot about God from my cat. It sounds crazy, but it is true!

"Hope thou in God, to not grow weary in well doing for you will reap it you faint not, that His plans for me are good."


Thank you for your encouragement. I need it so much! Blessings! Jenny

Farrah said...

Howdy-Doo!

Sometimes a dog can be more like a little child than a man! We are do be as little children, and they are always in the moment, quick to forget their past sorrows and ready to enjoy whatever the present has to enjoy. :-)

Light breaking forth!

Have you ever been studying God's Word and suddenly there is a quickening in your spirit and you have understanding that gives you deepe...