Thursday, May 7, 2009

And when He SAW their faith


Have you ever thought that tenacity, strategy, determination, ingenuity, thinking outside the box could be characteristics that are very appealing to the Lord. In fact could this be so pleasing to the Lord that He could possibly say, "My child since you have shown me your heart of tenacity and ingenuity in thinking outside of the box and beyond the normal/natural scope of things and have shown a sense of determination I am going to grant to you the desires of your heart."

I was thinking about this the other day after reading about Christ Jesus healing the man with palsy in (Luke 5:18-25) And, behold, men brought in a bed a man which was taken with a palsy: and they sought means to bring him in, and to lay him before him. And when they could not find by what way they might bring him in because of the multitude, they went upon the housetop, and let him down through the tiling with his couch into the midst before Jesus. And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee.

Did You catch that? When Jesus saw their faith He said, "Man, thy sins are forgiven thee." The men showed their trust and confidence in Jesus by being ingeniously determined to get their friend to Him. The men did what they felt they had to do for their friend and then Jesus took it from there.

Have you heard the old saying, "There's more than one way to skin a cat?" No offense cat lovers, I love cats myself, so don't get your panties in a tuft. These men were determined to come up with a strategic way to get their friend to Jesus so that he could be healed and they were dramatically successful in their conquest. Because of their faith and ingenuity, this man so far, has been spiritually healed (his sins have been forgiven).

We must go a little further because this man's physical healing is about to be granted by Christ Jesus as well. And the Scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone? But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts? Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk?
But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up they couch, and go into thine house. And immediately he rose up before them, and took up that wheron he lay, and departed to his house, glorifying God.

Isn't Jesus cool? The Son of man (Jesus Christ) has not only the power upon earth to forgive sins He also has the power upon earth to heal the body. I can just see the Scribes and Pharisees now, standing there with their mouths agape in total amazement and perplexity.

This account in scripture was a reminder to me by the Holy Spirit that we can possibly stop short of seeing the physical miracles in our lives because we limit our vision of hope. We can look at circumstances as hopeless and get tunnel vision which then causes us to lose our faith/determination and thus we can overlook the one possible way that will birth a miracle. The men had hopes that if they couldn't get their friend through the crowd then they would go over the crowd. They were tenacious, determined and strategic. I can just see Jesus smiling as if to say, "That's my boys! and I am proud of them for showing determination in their quest to get to me and having confidence in me."

If it seems as though it is impossible to get to Jesus because circumstances are blocking the way ,then we must look up and go over them. This is where Faith comes in. Circumstances should never stop us from our pursuit and appointed destination which is Jesus. Jesus is our Hope and He is our Answer both now and forever!

May we all be honest with ourselves and ask this question, "Am I looking up and going over the circumstances in life and trusting in Jesus or have I stopped short by looking at the overwhelming crowds of circumstances in front of me and think that all is hopeless?

26 comments:

Billy Coffey said...

It's amazing the power we have over our own lives. Our faith brings God's blessings, but our doubt can also withhold them. Our lives are just as much a product of our attitudes than our actions.

Great post, and much food for thought!

Warren Baldwin said...

Honestly? I sometimes look at the circumstances and think, "Oh no, what are we going to do now?" Thanks for the refocusing. WB

Jody said...

God continues to bring things in my life to force my focus on Him and not circumstances. It is tough not to dwell on the fact that my son will soon be on the other side of the world. Will I look to Jesus the author and finisher of my faith or will I be a navel gazer?

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'Have you heard the old saying, "There's more than one way to skin a cat?" No offense cat lovers, I love cats myself, so don't get your panties in a tuft.'

I used that term for years, Tamela, and my cat still cuddled with me and sought after food from me.

'May we all be honest with ourselves and ask this question, "Am I looking up and going over the circumstances in life and trusting in Jesus or have I stopped short by looking at the overwhelming crowds of circumstances in front of me and think that all is hopeless? '

This is a legitimate point. As Christians we are to trust in his plan for the good for his followers (Romans 8). This is despite the many and constant problems.

Happy Weekend, Tamela.:)

Russ

nitewrit said...

Tamela,

Kinda gives emphasis to the seek and ye shall find, knock and it shall be opened to ye statements.

Larry E.

Gigi said...

Dear Tamela ~ there is a reason (doesn't God ALWAYS orchestrate things perfectly?!) that I didn't come to your post until today. I really, REALLY needed to read these words. I have been struggling and almost crippled by my circumstances. Grief has changed who I am...I've never been a sad person. Today is 6 months since I lost my Sweet Hubby. I am so overwhelmed by my feelings of loss and while I continuously remind myself to hold fast and look up, it has been getting increasingly harder to do so. I have lost my joy as surely as I have lost my husband. And I KNOW this is not what the Lord wants for me. And it's certainly not what my Sweet Hubby would want...he was always so positive and joyful. Always.

When I read,

"This account in scripture was a reminder to me by the Holy Spirit that we can possibly stop short of seeing the physical miracles in our lives because we limit our vision of hope. We can look at circumstances as hopeless and get tunnel vision which then causes us to lose our faith/determination and thus we can overlook the one possible way that will birth a miracle."

it was like our Father whispered in my ear "Do not limit me, do not turn away from what I offer." And I have been...

I need to show tenacity. I need to hold fast to my faith in Him who delivers all He promises. I need to stop "doing it my way" which is no way at all, really.

Thank you for bringing me to my knees this morning, Tamela. Thank you for being THAT friend. God bless...

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Tamela,
This was one of my favorite stories of faith in the bible!!!
Happy Mother's day my Sistah!!!

Hugz Lorie

Anonymous said...

Hey Tamela, I am a cat lover, so my panties are in a tuft! haha - just kidding! :)

Another Bible story that shows ingenuity I think is Zacheus. He was so determined to see Jesus that he climbed a tree! Don't you love his determination to get to Jesus? And he was rewarded with more than just seeing Jesus. He got to actually host Jesus in his house! How awesome that Jesus knew his heart, that he wanted Jesus. And Jesus was willing to begin a relationship with the man!

I love your post! Thanks for showing me a new way to look at these things!

Love, Jenny

Anonymous said...

Oh how wonderful God is! I sit here with tears after reading your post. I'm in a place where I need to look over the circumstances and God was trying to get that thru my head. I know that the enemy comes to seek and destroy and that is what he's been doing to too many chidren of the King. But it's only because we don't persevere thru our circumstances, or should I say over them. God bless you for being obedient to what God has put on your heart. Linda

Connie Arnold said...

Our faith fails us too often when we see the circumstances we are facing and don't focus our attention on Jesus, who has the ability to handle anything we encounter in our lives. Thank you for sharing this inspiring post, Tamela!
Connie

Greg said...

Beautiful post, Tamela! We get so narrow-sighted because of the material world we are immersed in, that we sometimes forget that "with God, all things are possible." Keep preaching it, Sister! :)

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Billy,

You are right on about that!

God bless you my brother :)

Tamela's Place said...

Hello warren,

I usually will write what i have experienced i have been known to look at circumstances more than to the Lord as well.

God bless you warren :)

Tamela's Place said...

Jody,

I know you will look to Jesus.. And we will keep your son in our prayers. May God be with Him every moment of everyday and protect him from all harm

God bless you :)

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Russ,

As problems arise may we always be faithful in excerciseing our faith despite the circumstances

God bless you :)

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Lar,

Yeah i guess you could say it does


God bless you Lar :)

Tamela's Place said...

Gigi,

I praise the Lord that you were encouraged to keep looking to Him to give you that strength that you need day by day, I pray that God will continue to give you His strength each and every day gigi.. I pray that you will always find His peace in the storm and that His tender embraces and words of Love will continually touch your heart, until the day comes when you can be with him for all eternity

God bless you gigi :)

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Lori,,


Thank you for your comment it has always been one of my favs as well...

God bless you sistah :)

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Jenny,

LOL!

Yeah Zacheus is another good one. And the Lord did offer Him so very much. Salvation to His whole family Amazing how God blesses when we put forth the effort of faith in our lives


God bless you :)

Tamela's Place said...

hello Linda,

Thankyou for visiting Tamela's place.. I am thankful that the Lord ministered to you.. Yes indeed we must go over the circumstances and keep the faith.. Faith is what Pleases God!


God bless you Linda do you have a blog i would like to come and visit with you just let me know :)

God bless you

Tamela's Place said...

Hello Connie,

yes at times our faith can grow weak,, i find myself being reminded by the spirit of God that above all i must take up the shield of faith.. That word "above" all really hit me... Faith is what pleases God and when we excercise it with determination God seems to always come through He is faithful

God bless you :)

Tamela's Place said...

Thank you Greg,,

I think God is well pleased when we use a little creativity in our passionate pursuit of faith :)

God bless you Greg

Andrew Clarke said...

This is good. Do you think it has to do with the time Jacob wrestled the angel and said "I will not let you go until you bless me." As you say, if you put real faith in God then you can step out, even as Peter did to walk on the water. He failed a moment later, I know. But Jesus said, Have faith and you can see these things happen.

Tamela's Place said...

hello Andrew,

Yes i would say that there are many accounts in the Bible where men showed their determined/desperate faith and they were not going to succumb to anything less than a blessing. They were desperate for God to do something in their lives and they weren't ashamed to go after Him they knew that without His blessing they would surely die and they clung to God for all they were worth. I believe this is the kind of faith that pleases the Lord. To trust him with all of our hearts so desperately and to realize that without Him we are nothing! He is our everything and these men proved that by showing their faith in some dramatic ways and I believe that this moves the heart of God!

God bless you andrew :)

Anonymous said...

Tamela, an award awaits you on my blog. Blessings!

Unknown said...

Hi stopped in for a visit, your family is beautiful, love your site! continue to lift up the name of Jesus in all you do and say! be blessed! http://www.samaritiandiva.com

Light breaking forth!

Have you ever been studying God's Word and suddenly there is a quickening in your spirit and you have understanding that gives you deepe...